Save
Febrile seizures in epileptosurgery patients treated for mesiotemporal epilepsy: predictive factor for hippocampal sclerosis development?
EANS Academy. Brichtova E. Sep 26, 2019; 276021; EP07043
Assoc. Prof. Eva Brichtova
Assoc. Prof. Eva Brichtova

Access to this content is reserved for EANS members and attendees of this event. Click here to become an EANS member and gain your access to the full content of the EANS Academy


Abstract
Discussion Forum (0)
Rate & Comment (0)
Introduction: The relationship between febrile seizures and hippocampal sclerosis remains still unclear. In patients suffering from mesiotemporal lobe epilepsy (MTLE), hippocampal sclerosis is verified in 50-70%. The aim of the study was to assess the relationship between the presence of febrile seizures and hippocampal sclerosis in epileptosurgery patients.
Methods: The study was designed as retrospective. The authors investigated patients who underwent epileptosurgery treatment (AMTR - anteromesial temporal resection) in the Brno Epilepsy Center between 2008 and 2018 to assess the relationship between the presence of febrile seizures and histopathologically verified hippocampal sclerosis. Clinical data (age at the time of surgery, age at the time of epilepsy onset, sex, lateralization of affected hippocampus and febrile seizures history) were obtained from patients, hospital database and general practitioners. The cerebral tissue specimens were examined by a histopathologist.
Results: The group of 75 patients with histologically verified hippocampal sclerosis consists of 50 women (66.7 %) and 25 men (33.3 %). The mean age at the time of surgery was 39.2 (± 11.4) years. The mean age at the time of epilepsy onset was 11.2 (± 9.3) years. The right hippocampus was affected more often in 41 cases (54.7 %) than left hippocampus in 34 cases (45.3 %). A history of febrile seizures was validated in 24 (32.0 %) patients. In the remaining 51 (68.0 %) patients no history of febrile seizures was evident. Statistical evaluation was performed using the Fisher exact test. Using p < 0.05 level the relationship was not found statistically significant (p = 1).
Conclusion:
In a small series, we tested the hypothesis of the correlation between febrile seizures presence in childhood and hippocampal sclerosis in surgery patients treated for MTLE. The relationship between these two entities was not found statistically significant.
Code of conduct/disclaimer available in General Terms & Conditions
Anonymous User Privacy Preferences

Strictly Necessary Cookies (Always Active)

MULTILEARNING platforms and tools hereinafter referred as “MLG SOFTWARE” are provided to you as pure educational platforms/services requiring cookies to operate. In the case of the MLG SOFTWARE, cookies are essential for the Platform to function properly for the provision of education. If these cookies are disabled, a large subset of the functionality provided by the Platform will either be unavailable or cease to work as expected. The MLG SOFTWARE do not capture non-essential activities such as menu items and listings you click on or pages viewed.


Performance Cookies

Performance cookies are used to analyse how visitors use a website in order to provide a better user experience.



Google Analytics is used for user behavior tracking/reporting. Google Analytics works in parallel and independently from MLG’s features. Google Analytics relies on cookies and these cookies can be used by Google to track users across different platforms/services.


Save Settings